1. The ancient stocks ( or jougs as they were known locally )
2. The Mercat or Drummond Cross
3. The Cross of Crieff
4. And last but not least , the remaining part - or the gibbet - of the Kind Gallows of Crieff
Below is a description of these written some one hundred and fifty five years ago in 1860 . This appeared in what arguably was the first tourist guide to the area , entitled simply the “ Beauties of Upper Strathearn “ !
The 1860 account , however , makes interesting reading :
Archaeologists are at variance both as to the history of this monument , and the era to which its style belongs .It is certain that it did not originally belong to Crieff, and the local tradition is that , little more than a century ago, it stood within the lands of Trowan . About that time it was set up in its present position in Crieff. One class of archaeologists say that its embossed carving is of Norman type while another class say it is of Runic character. It has been worked on one side only. From this circumstance it has been conjectured that it is a sepulchral stone, - and thus may have marked the last resting place of some Celtic hero. In any view, it is of great antiquity, and has been deemed worthy of a niche in the interesting volume on the Sculptured Stones of Scotland, recently issued by the Spalding Club.
The Strowan Cross shown to the right of Strowan House which replaced that moved to Crieff and which became known as the " Cross of Crieff " .