Note ( March 2016): Fowlis Easter Castle
Despite the substantial rebuilding the Gray's sold the site in 1667 to Sir William Murray of Ochtertyre who occupied it until the eighteenth century. But around 1780 they shifted their main residence to Ochtertyre House leaving the castle abandoned until Sir Patrick Keith Murray extensively renovated and updated it in the mid-nineteenth century (another carved stone gives the date as 1862) to support farm workers on the adjacent estates. Later a modern extension was added to the north side of the Tower House whilst the cone shaped roof is also modern and unlikely to have represented the original design. Today the castle is a private residence with no public access.