Tuesday, 22 July 2014
The Sad Demise Of An Historic Part of Crieff : PART THREE
The Old Parish Church in Church Street Crieff
Ministers of Crieff Parish Church after Reformation
1560 : Alexander Christie – Catholic Priest joined Reformed Church- reader in Monzievaird in 1567 .
1563 : Thomas Drummond – probably knew John Knox ( Heavenor )
1572 : Hugh Currie Rector of Crieff could have been Catholic but pointed out that titles such as Rector could date back to 1560 “ an elementary but not uncommon error to believe that there was any religious significance in the use of such titles .
Everyone who held office in the Church in 1560 continued for the rest of his life to be designated as he had been in 1560 “
1574 : William Drummond began his ministry . Probably both William and Thomas were connected with
. The Parish Ministers in those days often were poor relations of influential families . William
was a contemporary of Andrew Melville At this time Church half Presbyterian and
half Episcopalian Drummond Castle
1592 : David Drummond was MA of Glasgow Gave up in 1636 and went to
1635 : David Drummond ( nephew of above ) an MA of St Andrews had been his uncle’s assistant . Son of James Drummond , 5th Laird of Monzie – succeeded to lands of Kincardine and Trytoun and purchased lands of Callander near Barvick. These supplied considerable income from tiends towards his stipend .
1638 : National Covenant signed pledging support for Presbyterianism .David Drummond supported this but when Civil war broke out he supported Royalists .Called before Synod to answer charges that he raised soldiers for the Royalist cause . Charge was proved and sentence of deposition passed in 1649 . Appealed but sentence not lifted . Continued to preach and take stipend . Got fed up and resigned in 1658 and became Rector of Omagh in
N Ireland .Later was murdered for
unknown reason .
1658 : Gilbert Murray an MA of St Andrews succeeded . Claimed he had made a pact with Drummond to share the stipend . Presbytery raised matter but
Murray refused to appear . Probably connected to Murrays of Ochtertyre
. Trimmed his sails according to the
religious wind ! At outset was a
staunch Presbyterian but became an Episcopalian and allowed to continue his ministry .
1682 : His son William Murray also an MA of St Andrews appointed his colleague and successor . Proved to be convinced Episcopalian .Lord’s Prayer used in worship and the Doxology was sung by the congregation and the Apostles’ Creed was repeated at Baptisms – all of these frowned upon by the Presbyterians of the time .
1688 : The “ Revolution “ brought William and Mary to the throne .Murray did not support them and was deposed for reading part of psalm 118 after the Jacobite victory at Killiecrankie - “ This is the day God made , in it we’ll joy triumphantly ”
1690 : Episcopacy was overthrown and Presbyterianism established officially .
vacant for 9 years ( 1699 ) Crieff Church
1699 : Appointment of John Drummond ( Glasgow University ) First problem was when the Presbytery reported “ horrid abuse committed by some persons in the town of Crieff ,by their drinking King James’ health publicly at the Cross and abusing several inhabitants in the town .” Drummond was asked to draw up a list of offenders for the attention of the Queen’s Advocate . Strict Presbyterianism had arrived and Session Minutes reflect the discipline which now prevailed . it notes “ the frequent profanation of the Lord’s Day by unnecessary walking in the fields , idle talking , bearing of water . taking in of kail and the like “ Elders were asked to “ take strict notice “ of such infringements with a view to discipline ” .
1754 : John Drummond died
1755 : Succeeded by Thomas Stewart
1770 : Stewart suspended for life because of drunkenness which had been reported to them in 1763 .