Castle Cluggy and Loch Monzievaird , Ochtertyre

Castle Cluggy and Loch Monzievaird  , Ochtertyre

Loch Monzievaird ( above ) 

 Sir Patrick Keith Murray with the castle in the trees 
behind the crannog 

Castle Cluggy

We have discussed at some  length in these “ blogs “ the presence of  crannogs  or artificial islands  in Strathearn and north in Loch Tay in ancient Breadalbane in April 2013 (
These are an incredible reminder to us  how and where our ancient forbearers dwelt and existed at  time  when native  soil was inhabited by wild animals as well as aggressive natives ! Loch Monzievaird  has  excellent examples of these crannogs  but in addition  on the north shore  lies one of Strathearn’s ancient dwellings , namely Castle Cuggy . Located and accessed from the west at Loch Mozvievaird Chalets , the Castle is very old , being described in 1467 as being “antiquum fortalicium” – an ancient castle !
Tradition has it that it was the home of the Red Comyn the protagonist of Robert the Bruce , King of Scotland .Legend tells us that Castle Cluggy was one of the possessions of Malise, Earl of Strathearn  It came into possession of the Drummond family and in 1488 was  the subject of a legal battle with the Murray family over ownership . In 1650 it was occupied by Sir William Murray  , first Baronet of Ochtertyre when Cromwell was endeavouring to take over Scotland .It lies on a piece of land  known as the “Dry Isle “  .The crannog  due  south of it was said  to have  been used in days gone by as a place of containment for any prisoners held  by the castle. It is now a scheduled monument under the ownership of Sir Brian Souter of Ochtertyre . Much of the original castle has been destroyed revealing an impressive  square tower with thick walls and arrow slots at various levels .
The  natural beauty of Loch Monzievaird make it a pleasant walk around its perimeter shores .


Popular posts from this blog

Methven : Some Historical Tales including a defeat for Robert the Bruce . Methven the cradle of the Stewart Dynasty

The March from Callum’s Hill in Crieff to Tibbermore

Culloden Attrocities in the Aftermath