Our Shame Over Inchaffray Abbey
Inchaffray Abbey ( NN 954 223 )
“Fiercely gleams the old monk’s home
To other lands thy now must roam
Their Abbey grey is clothed in fire
From lowest stone to topmost spire .“
Inchaffray is located in the Parish of Madderty , and was one of the largest Abbeys in Scotland containing upwards of 200 monks . One of the Abbots , Maurice by name , carried the arm of St Fillan , and performed Mass before the Scottish Army , on the field of Bannockburn , where Scotland’s independence was fought and won . With such a pedigree one would have imagined Inchaffray would be the jewel in Strathearn’s crown !
Sadly modern planning incompetence has allowed a modern dwelling to be erected beside the old Abbey . Access is awkward and ,once again , totally unsigned – an absolute disgrace bearing in mind the significance of a building which was old when its Charter was granted in 1199 !
Go and pay a visit – it is not a private site ! From Crieff travel towards Perth on the A85 turning off right after Gilmerton ( sign posted Madderty ). Follow the narrow road for about 2 miles and you will espy Inchaffray ( the Isle of Masses ) surrounded on a raised hillock covered with trees . Parking ? On the right hand side before the gate way to the modern intruder !