Coronation Memories

       Coronation Memories on Tuesday 2nd June 1953






I can remember vividly that day . I was exactly one week short of my 12th birthday . I was an only child living in the leafy suburb of Clarkston south of Glasgow . Tramcars still ran to their terminus at the “ Toll “ and rationing had just all but ended in 1950 . Television in Scotland had only just started the year before in1952. It was the BBC and of course, it was in black and white . It was another four years before STV/ITV arrived on the Scottish scene!
My parents were always believers in traditional education and learning and as a result I had been sent to “ Hutchie “ ( Hutchesons’ Boys’ Grammar School ) the year before . Located in Crown Street in the heart of the Gorbals just south of the River Clyde it was a smoke ingrained building that had seen better days - open coal fires for heating and tiered classrooms with benches for desks - decrepitude personified ! Fee paying was £2 per term ! It was no Eton or Glenalmond but a basic educational establishment . I learned later as I dived into my genealogical research that my McFarlane ancestors had ( according to the 1881 Census) dwelt in a small tenement flat in Crown Street a stone’s throw from where their great grandson was attending school ! ! Evicted and forced to leave Kintyre in Argyll because of the 1848 “ Tattie Famine “ Archie and Mary raised five children in their cramped “room and kitchen” . Gaelic was their first language and how they adapted to life in the big smoke was truly amazing .
One of the highlights of the Coronation was the Children’s Sports held on the football field of my old Primary School - Netherlee . Prizes for everyone - egg and spoon and three legged races - bike races - flat races - great fun and great to meet up with so many of my old class mates ! Having scampered down the length of the pitch I was awarded with a little medal in a box with a pic of the Queen smiling
out ! At the end of the day , all the children were given a plaque with the Royal coat of arms on one side and the Queen on t’other ! This hung in my parents sitting room for many a long day !
I remember vividly my dad telling mum that he had rented a TV so that we could watch the big event . My mother had never seen TV and was somewhat taken aback about dad’s actions ! I recall about a year earlier travelling to Victoria Road near Queens Park and standing outside a shop called Fullatone who had a “ live “ telly in the window . Must have been about 50 people eying up this latest attraction . “ Never catch on “ “ Prefer the movies “ “ Just a craze “ - the comments abounded !
Our telly arrived in a large van and was duly installed . I remember it took about 2 or 3 minutes to “ heat up “ before the picture came on . Programs then were not continuous and between sessions there was an “ interlude “ which comprised a potter’s wheel or fish swimming about in a tank ! The evening session finished with a rendition of the National Anthem !
Mum was a quick devotee and enjoyed periods between sessions trying to solve the Radio Times cross word ! News spread quickly around the neighbours and the Mayall family were undoubtedly top of the pops with lots of hints being dropped about watching the “big event “.
Cannot remember how many gathered in our small living room munching sausage rolls and meat sandwiches but must have been about twenty !Tempus fugit . That was a life time away !
So endeth my memories of yesteryear ! Incredible to see the Queen still going strong . Must be the genes !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fancy A Trip On The Crieff Canal ??

The Rise and Fall of Inchbrakie – The Story of the Graemes and Why A Great House Was Demolished and A Family Heritage Threatened

Feddal Castle, Braco